Savory Salsa Cheesecake
Ron and Shige
- 1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- 4 tbs melted butter
- 2 8-ounce pkgs cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbs grated onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbs packaged taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bottled salsa, chunky style
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, crush crackers
to fine crumbs. Place in small bowl; add butter, mix well with a
fork. Press evenly into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
Refrigerate crust while preparing filling.
- Place cream cheese in medium bowl of electric mixer. Beat
in eggs one at a time, blending well after each. Mix in salt, white
pepper, onion, sugar, garlic, lime juice and taco seasoning. Mix
until well-blended. By hand, mix in cheese, salsa and cilantro.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake in 325 degree
oven for 60 minutes or until cheesecake is slightly browned on top.
- Remove and cool on a whilre rack. Chill overnight before
serving with crackers.
Chipotle Pork Loin
- pork loin approx. 2.25 pounds (adjust cook time based on
- Olive oil
- 1 TBS liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Kosher salt/ground black pepper (reg salt can be used)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 TBS red peppers
- 1 Tsp ground mustard
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1 Tsp Paprika
oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix dry
small bowl; paprika, red pepper, ground mustard, cumin.
- In a
skillet (oven usable) add olive oil and garlic, lightly brown garlic on
oil to top and sides, rub dry mixture coating all side of loin.
- Salt and pepper both sides of loin.
smoke and chicken stock. Place in oven.
to 375, and bake, spoon liquid over loin through out cook time. (oven
temp will drop when door opened, so preheat at higher temp)
1.5 hours, check temperature. Min. temp 140 degrees for rare, 150 for
medium. (loin will continue to cook after you remove from heat. So
undercook a little.)
"Grab your pearls Panini"
A quick and easy summer delight.
Tom Giesow and Vic Scherley
Tom and Vic said, "This is the recipe from the Food Network website. We
played around with it for our taste"
They substituted roasted garlic hummus for the garbanzo bean spread,
and green olives instead of black, along with some feta sprinkles.
|Garbanzo Bean Spread:
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh mint
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (5 1/2-ounce) cans Italian tuna in olive oil, drained (recommended:
1 (13 3/4-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
8 mini baguettes, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
2 cups arugula
Special equipment: Brown parchment paper for wrapping the sandwiches
- To make the Garbanzo Bean Spread: Combine all the
ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the Panini: Combine the black olives, olive oil,
salt, pepper, tuna, and artichokes in a bowl.
- Lay out the sliced baguettes. Spread the Garbanzo Bean
Spread on both halves of the baguettes. Spoon the tuna mixture over the
bean spread. Top with the arugula and close the sandwich. Wrap 1 end of
the sandwich in parchment paper to make it easier to eat. Place the
sandwiches on a platter and serve.
Stuffed Chicken Sausage Legs
Otis - Bill Hein's Guest
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup each red, green, yellow peppers
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each - freshly ground pepper, thyme, oregano
- 3 tablespoons sage
- 1/2 a cup plus bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup bourbon or sherry
- Oil for sautéing
- 1/2 cup unseasoned flour
- 8 chicken legs with skin on
- Peel skin back gently over knuckle bone without tearing.
Chop off leg leaving knuckle and a little bone with the skin
attached. Remove meat from leg bones and grind or chop. Add one
small chicken breast or 1/2 cup ground turkey meat.
- Saute' the first five ingredients, then combine with the
rest of the ingredients and mix together well.
- Saute' a little bit of the mixture in a hot frying pan and
taste for seasoning.
- Stuff the mixture into the skin of the chicken legs and
shape to look like the original chicken leg. Do not over stuff the leg.
- Season the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper and hot
smoked paprika. Roll in a little flour and brown quickly in medium hot
oil (canola oil is okay).
- Place in a baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for
about 20 to 30 minutes until done.
- Experiment with various seasonings to make it your own, or email to get
additional gravy/sauce recipe.
Asian Cole Slaw
A simple recipe that can be embellished upon by adding any of your
- Bagged coleslaw mix
- Fresh garlic
- Red onion
- Mandarin oranges (canned) reserve the juice
- Roasted jalapenos (substitute any hot flavoring)
- Fresh apple, chopped
- Pineapple (canned is best because you will need the juice
for the dressing)
- Cashews (any nut will do)
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar (or any hearty vinegar or combination,
such as rice, apple cider etc.)
- Peanut butter
- Thai basil, chopped (fresh, ordinary basil will do in a
- Fresh ginger, grated
- Finely chop the garlic and sauté in olive oil until
- In a food processor, add pineapple juice, vinegar, olive
oil, grated ginger, orange juice, hot peppers, peanut butter, and
crunchy garlic (w/oil). Blend until smooth.
- Mix all the ingredients together and chill.
Amounts of ingredients are up to
individual taste. Get creative add shitake mushrooms, grilled shrimp,
dried fruit etc.
Garlic / Portabella Mushroom Soup
Tom Giesow and Vic Scherley
Medium size bulbs of garlic
ounces Portabella Mushrooms, fine to coarsely chopped
Med. shallot, finely chopped
Med yellow onion, finely chopped
ounces chicken broth
Pint half and half
garlic in some butter to a roasted brown over low to medium
heat. Once cooked, mash the garlic cloves with fork to
breakup and set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms,
shallot, onion with butter in a clean pan and then set aside.
- In a soup pot, melt the 6 tbs of butter over medium
heat and slowly stir in the flour to make a roux. Stir the
thickened mixture to cook the flour.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, mushroom and
garlic mixtures, stirring as it will thicken quickly in the roux. Add
the half and half and bring to a boil.
heat and simmer over low heat until ready to serve. Salt and
pepper to taste.
Shirley - Bill's guest
- Cooking spray
- 1¼ lb chicken cooked breast, shreaded
- 1½ C chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ C beer
- ¼-½ tsp ground red pepper
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes,
- ½ C thinly sliced green
- 1 (2¼ oz) can sliced ripe
- 2 (4.5oz) can chopped green
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 2 C 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites, lightly
beaten, or, 6 Tbsp egg
- ¾ C (3oz) sharp cheddar,
- ¾ C (3oz) Monterey Jack, shredded
- 6 (6”) corn tortillas, cut in
- ½ C fat-free sour cream
- ½ C salsa
- Coat large skillet with spray. Over
medium heat sauté onion & garlic until
tender. Add chicken, beer, pepper, and
tomatoes. Cook 10 min. or until most of
liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Save 1 Tbsp each of
green onion and olives
for garnish and stir the rest and the chilies into the chicken mixture. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, cumin and
coriander in pan. Gradually add milk,
stirring with whisk until
blended. Stir constantly and cook until
thick, then whisk into egg whites. Set
- Mix cheeses in bowl. Set aside.
- Spread ½C white sauce in bottom of spray
treated 2 ½ quart
round casserole or soufflé dish. Layer 4
tortilla halves over sauce, 2 C chicken mix, ½ C white sauce,
and ½ C cheese
mix. Repeat layers twice ending with
sauce. Retain ½ C cheese mix.
- Bake uncovered for 40 min. Sprinkle
remaining cheese, onion and olive. Bake
additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 or
minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
- 1/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy
- 1 teaspoon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion
- 1 bag chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon olive
- In a small bowl, add the bourbon to the cornstarch and stir
until the cornstarch has dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the chicken and stir
again until the sugar has dissolved. Then set the sauce aside.
thawed chicken tenders in crock pot. Pour sauce over and mix to
all pieces. Depending on the quantity of the chicken pieces, you
need to make more sauce. I used a double recipe to begin with as
wanted a lot of sauce.
- Start crock pot on high till chicken is thoroughly heated
and then reduce to warm and serve when needed..
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Grilled Romaine Lettuce
Vic Scherley and
Vic says this is a simple dish to create, something he learned from a
Hearts of Romaine Lettuce
Italian or Greek Salad Dressing
crumbled Blue Cheese or Feta
- Slice Romaine hearts in half.
- Spray grill
with pam and grill the lettuce hearts for a few minutes to get grill
marks ( keep and eye
on them so they don't wilt too much ), you still want the lettuce to be
- Toast pine nuts under the broiler (these will roast up
quickly) to light brown.
- Crumble Blue cheese ( feta cheese can be a substituted if
- Plate the romaine, sprinkle with pine nuts and blue cheese,
then dress with salad dressing. BAM!
Rick - a visitor
|4 ears Corn
1 mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 red and 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup canola oil
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 - 1 lb of boiled shrimp- chopped (optional)
- Cut the
kernals off the cobs and place corn in a medium bowl. Add all of
the other ingredients to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Season to
taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve cold.
- Keeps for 2 to 3 days in the refridgerator.
- Makes about 4 cups.
- Can be served as a dip with corn chips, or as a salad with
shrimp, fish or chicken.